Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Hornby Island, BC - Bald Eagle Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Doug Carrick () on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 09:24 PM EST  
Anonymous: Doug Carrick

Observers on the HEG Forum feel that the male eagle brings many of the fish to the nest expressly as a courting gift for the female eagle to eat. It might be something for people on this forum to watch for.

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, January 27 2010 @ 09:45 PM EST  
sassyk

waveDoug: Maybe Dad will bring Mom a nice red snapper for Valentine's DayNodding yes

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
My Photos of Eagles & Other Wildlife

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Doug Carrick () on Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 01:31 AM EST  
Anonymous: Doug Carrick

Sassyk, mentioning red snapper makes me think you must come from coastal British Columbia. Who else would know that term? Or else, perhaps it is used elsewhere?

A red snapper is a type of rockfish (inaccurately called a rock cod) - one that is a goldfish red.

As a boy, I can remember a fishboat piled up with rockfish on its deck - especially, a few very large red ones. Not only were they large, they were blown up round like a football. When pulled up from deep water their air bladders expanded almost to the point of exploding.

The fisherman was cutting out their livers and throwing the rest in the water - which seemed wasteful. This was for codliver oil, the health product of those years. My sister and I had to have a spoon of it every morning. Sometimes we had it in the more tasteful form of Malt and Codliver Oil, which we called Hokey-Pokey.

When codliver oil went out of fashion, the number of rockfish increased again. Then when salmon were almost wiped out in the Georgia Strait (1994), rockfish were fished more intensely so that now they too are almost wiped out - including the red snapper.

By: nightowl (offline) on Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 03:48 AM EST  
nightowl

Doug, I just love it when you let us in on your insights.

I didn't know that's where cod liver oil came from. I never have tasted it personally, but I understand from talking to people it was pretty nasty tasting. The only thing I can compare it to is liquid Geritol, which tasted like you were trying to swallow an iron nail....awful. I was borderline anemic, so I needed extra iron, but I was so glad when mom finally bought Geritol tablets.

I could be mistaken, but in nicer restaurants here (Missouri) you can get red snapper. I believe it's pretty pricey though. I've seen it in grocery stores, but not being much of a fish eater, I didn't pay much attention to the price. I will next time I go to the store though.

That's interesting about Pa bringing Ma a 'courtship' fish. I'll have to be on the look out for that.

Thanks Doug! Grin

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 04:44 AM EST  
nightowl

THURSDAY, JANUARY 28, 2010

Please note that all pictures and videos taken from the Hornby Bald Eagle Nest cams are copyrighted and are used with kind permission. Thanks Doug and Sheila Carrick and Hornby Eagle Group.

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 02:46 PM EST  
nightowl

Good morning Hornby!wave

I haven't seen Ma or Pa yet, but I hear the sea lions barking. How funny...I've never heard them there before. Grin

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 02:54 PM EST  
BET

1-28 11:45am

Been watching the cam off and on since about 9:30. Around 10:00 - heard one of the eagles talking but not visible on the cam. Then a brief glimpse as it flew towards the area of the blue roof.

Just now, noise that sounded like seals made me check the camera . Nothing of note. Are there seals that close to the camera that the mike would pick up their vocalization?

Note for Doug:

They have red snapper in Florida. Enjoyed many a dinner of snapper when we lived there. Not sure I enjoyed the reminder of having to drink cod liver oil - it's good for you! - ugh! a memory well forgotten.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile     PM

By: eiguoc (offline) on Thursday, January 28 2010 @ 03:38 PM EST  
eiguoc

1:33
Mom?? working on a branch, Other eagle was sitting on the cam
Click on image to download
Click on image to download

Pat=photographer & cat mom
Pardon my shortening memory
Member since Aug 23/06

Forum

Scarborough, Ontario

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:58 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate