Forum Index > Associated Web Cameras > South African Black Eagle Nest
 Black Eagle Project Cam - 2010 - South Africa
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: akelliot () on Sunday, February 06 2011 @ 11:36 PM EST  
Anonymous: akelliot

Thank you so much for the wonderful update and the beautiful pics of Bafana! Fly free and happy Bafana, all our best goes with you!

Anna and Max

By: nightowl (offline) on Tuesday, February 08 2011 @ 06:38 AM EST  
nightowl

You're welcome Carolyn and akelliot! He is gorgeous, isn't he? Wub

I admit I've been a bit remiss in keeping up with Bafana's activities, but these were posted on Facebook by Nicci Wright, January 31, 2011.

Nicci Wright

The weekend before last we attached a 9gram telemetry to Bafana's tail to ensure proper monitoring once he's released. This pic shows his perfect tail feathers and the tiny telemetry.

Photo by Jessica Babich
Click on image to download

In the early evening of Saturday 22 January, we opened Bafana's pen. He waited for about 5 or 10 minutes and then took flight. Here's a pic by Stuart Handcock of Bafana looking at freedom!

Bafana is being monitored daily and support fed as he practises flight from tree to tree, learning what the best perch is (a bit shaky at first!) and experiencing flying with wind currents! He has been out for 9 days now and so far the process is going well, he's kept within 300 metres of the pen, responding to feeding calls and looking beautiful!

click pictures bigger.

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: WV sUSAn () on Tuesday, February 08 2011 @ 04:24 PM EST  
Anonymous: WV sUSAn

I am absolutely shocked and elated to see this info on Bafana. I watched the cam last year and was heart-broken to think that, by man's hand, one more of our feathered friends would not lead a full and healthy life. I just CAN NOT believe the pictures of beautiful Bafana. I'm sorry but I do not remember who was on the crusade last year to ensure that this lovely bird got the medical attention it so desperately needed --- but my most heartfelt THANK YOU goes out to all involved. I couldn't bear to think of Bafana's future as we watched on that ledge. And now, Bafana is FREE. Thank you, thank you again and again.!!!! I think maybe I'm getting a little misty here.....

By: nightowl (offline) on Monday, March 14 2011 @ 05:48 AM EDT  
nightowl

Alrighty! FINALLY more good news concerning Bafana. Wub

The pictures and comments by Nicci Wright was posted on Facebook Sunday, March 13, 2011.

Nicci Wright: Bafana mastering flight in the big skies above the Waterberg bush! (pics: courtesy Lapalala Private Game Reserve/Wild Revolution

Nicci Wright: Bafana mantling a young Guinea Fowl kill!

Isn't he looking absolutely fantastic? Clapping

This was also posted February 21, 2011 in response to a question about how long Bafana would be monitored and offered food.

Nicci Wright: Bafana can be found because we attached telemetry to his tail, pre-release. When the battery runs out we won't pick up a signal any longer. Hopefully he'll remain in the same area so we can still support feed him. He has been seen on a carcass so the idea of hunting is beginning to kick in!

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Birdsie () on Thursday, March 24 2011 @ 01:44 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Birdsie

Very nice postings and information, Nightowl! Thanks so much! Bafana is looking great! Wub

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:56 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate