Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Update to our Cam Pages
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 09:19 PM EDT  
JudyB

Hi Little Kopit - great to see you back for the new nesting season!

To answer your questions -

No, we're not insane. We (Hancock WIldlife, WildEarth and me personally) are also not wealthy.

Unlike some other cam sites, the ads here do not blast rock music while you're trying to listen to peeps inside an egg. There is a 15-30 second ad that plays when you open a cam and click its play button. It has sound - and also has a box in the upper left corner that you can click to mute it. It does not play again unless you need to refresh/reload the page - which you may need to do occasionally if we're having issues with a cam, but it should be the exception rather than the rule. So far that's the only ad I've seen on the new pages - but I expect that once everything is in place, there will sometimes be silent banner ads in the lower 1/4 of the screen, the same as those of us who don't use an ad-blocker have been seeing all along; those ads do not make noise and have a close box, though it's not always easy to see. The people controlling the cams know that there may be ads at the bottom of the screen, so try to keep the action in the upper 3/4 - though the eagles don't always cooperate.

The advantage is that it costs a lot of money to stream cams. I honestly have no clue what it costs WildEarth for each camera they stream - but I did do a bit of research into alternate ways to stream our cams - and this is what I found:

Looking at UStream's website (https://www.ustream.tv/platform/plans), I see that it's $500 a month for 2000 ad-free viewer hours. For simplicity in math, if we were to stream one cam for 10 hours a day, that would be 300 hours a month - and if 7 people watched that one cam every day for the full 10 hours, that would be 2100 viewer hours.

That's one cam, running only during daylight hours, with no more than 7 people on average watching for $500/month. We currently have 10 cams streaming 24 hours a day, with two more seasonal cams in one of the salmon rivers in the fall. It's just getting light in BC, and we have 5 people watching one of the Harrison Mills cams and 6 watching the other, even though the nest is empty.

I'm sure that WildEarth's cost per viewer-hour is less than that charged by UStream - there have to be some economies of scale - but it has to be costing thousands of dollars per month to stream our 10 cams around the clock. The only way we can afford to do this is to have ads.

WildEarth has done everything they can to make them as non-intrusive as possible - the only ad with sound is the initial ad when you open a cam, which is no more than 30 seconds and which has a box in the corner to mute the sound (with the new streaming software); after that, there may sometimes be silent ads taking up no more than the bottom 1/4 of the stream - and our zoomers are careful to keep the action above the place the ads appear. Not surprisingly, advertisers who are paying thousands of dollars want to know that their ads are being seen - so the new software doesn't permit the use of ad-blockers.

I hope this helps - and if you have any suggestions as to how we can stream our cams without ads, I'll be happy to hear them.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 09:21 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: gemini

Does it work with the older pages that are down towards the bottom on the White Rock cams page? I

Don't know if anyone got back to you or not Judy - yes, the sound does work on the older cam but not on the new one.

Thanks gemini - Mom's on the nest at Harrison Mills and I'm not good at multi-tasking - but I will try to check into this once I know if she's planning to lay an egg. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Little Kopit (offline) on Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 09:48 PM EDT  
Little Kopit

Other sites with other software: Pittsburg eagle cam

- Wildlife Center of Virginia (has option of camera sponsorship of $30.00 pd.) Their financial picture is different from many..

- Cornell University run several cams.

http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/ooievaar

Several other EU located stork nests, but they're not up yet.

Don 't know what cam system is on Loch of Ewes Osprey. But it's Scottish Highland Trust.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/

Berry College

Sturt University, Orange, NSW, AU, Peregrines

White Bellied Eagles of Sydney, NSW, AU

AlCOA Peregrines, AU

I have others bookmarked, but many are not yet open because of season/weather.

Nova Scotia Museum used to have one with their Hydro. It's the birds who went elsewhere.

Pretty well going from memory.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 11:03 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Little Kopit. I know other sites have other software. Some also have corporate or institutional sponsorship - which is great if you can find it. We don't have that option.

It's getting late here, and I was up very early, so I'm going to say good night for now, and will look at your list again in the morning. Thanks.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Marg (offline) on Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 11:13 PM EDT  
Marg

I haven't had a problem with the new cams except while watching the HM nests I got this arrow - it happened twice Puzzled has anyone else had this happen?

Click on image to download

I cannot get in to the cams at HM now.......

aka sunshinecoast member since Aug22/06

Content Provider
[url=http://www.hancockwildlife.org/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=482309#482309

Forum

Davis Bay, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, April 02 2014 @ 09:59 AM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Marg. I have gotten that occasionally - and sometimes the cams will start up again if I click the button in the center - and sometimes I've needed to reload the page to get the cams to come back up. The Harrison Mills embedded cams did go offline for a while overnight and are happily streaming again now (with an eagle on the nest!)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, April 02 2014 @ 12:09 PM EDT  
jkr

Just a quick note:
Apple came out with a Safari update this morning to version 7.0.3
The cams are still working fine, but did take a bit longer to load.

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: ducky121 (offline) on Wednesday, April 02 2014 @ 05:06 PM EDT  
ducky121

hi judyb

I have ad blocker 0.6.7 fx.xpl on ff and it does not look like what you posted. do you know how to just disable for hwf cams? I hope I can do that with what I have.
Thank You

ducky121

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:06 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate