Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Report Cams Down and Forum Errors
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 07:00 PM EST  
JudyB

I just got in and tried to start Delta WA - and the ad froze at "ad will end in 7 seconds" - I'm thinking that sounds like a WE issue. Lafarge ad is also freezing. White Rock didn't freeze as much - but did freeze at 6 seconds before the end. Delta cam finally came online.

But Eagles4Kids (also a WildEarth streamed cam) didn't freeze during the ad - and neither did Hornby.

Thinking "out loud" here - just checked the WildEarth website, and our cams came up fine, with no buffering in the ads (and I saw both eagles at Lafarge, perched on the crossbar above the artificial nest!).

I think this is a job for Richard.

Well, just reloaded Delta WA and Lafarge from our site, and both loaded fine - maybe a temporary glitch?

I guess I'll keep at least Delta WA up while I check on the events here and there, and see what happens - if I can't make it happen again, it's hard for Richard to check it.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: gemini (offline) on Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM EST  
gemini

hi Judy,

I forgot to mention there was absolutely no buffering before the cams shut down! And it has just done it again while I was typing this after just 10 minutes of play.

I am currently viewing the Lafarge cam. However, this has happened to all of the cams at one time or another.

ETA:

Just happened with the WR nest! On for 1 minute: No pre-buffering.

Click on image to download

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 07:56 PM EST  
JudyB

Hmm - I've had Delta WA and Lafarge on since I posted, and I haven't noticed either of them stopping. (Lafarge eagles just flew away from the crossbar one after the other. And now they're in the nest.)

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: gemini (offline) on Sunday, January 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM EST  
gemini

I am beginning to wonder if it is my computer! But its the server message that has me confused. I wouldn't think if it is my computer it would say anything about the server! Going to try the Delta nest now.

ETA: Delta nest lasted 3 minutes. I give up for now. Going to watch the curling! More action there! Titter

One other thing: if I try to refresh immediately, I get a blank screen. I have to wait 4 or 5 minutes to get it back.

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, January 17 2011 @ 11:38 AM EST  
JudyB

I left White Rock and Lafarge running all night, and they were still running fine in the morning (note to Richard - I do not normally waste bandwidth Wink, but did want to know if it would stop at some point).

I'm wondering if this is part of the issue with Telus that affects some viewers in BC. I'll ask Richard to stop by and see if he has any suggestions.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Monday, January 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM EST  
richardpitt

Quote by: JudyB

I left White Rock and Lafarge running all night, and they were still running fine in the morning (note to Richard - I do not normally waste bandwidth Wink, but did want to know if it would stop at some point).

I'm wondering if this is part of the issue with Telus that affects some viewers in BC. I'll ask Richard to stop by and see if he has any suggestions.

I do watch the traffic on this topic, even if I don't always come in and comment.

The problems that some people have with slow access to this web server have nothing to do with any problems that might happen with the live video feeds once the feed is running.

The live video comes from a completely different computer system and simply shows up in a "window" (iframe for those who understand HTML) on the page.

The page itself (and the rest of this web site) comes from our server in Vancouver and it is that server's network connection that has had problems. I understand that there has been a technician working on the routing issue this past week so am hoping it is better.

Reading back through this thread I'll speculate that the intermittent problems some of you have had with the video streams are local to your connection to the internet or may have been due to one of the (many) servers that handle replication of the video stream having some problems. The fact that not everyone saw the problem shows that it is not the encoder or the receiving system at WildEarth.TV, but somewhere from their content delivery system to your computer.

Again on a technical note - there is a growing concern in the internet video community with a problem called "buffer bloat" which can cause problems with long-term streaming of content. Our streams are right on the edge of the bandwidth step for this problem - if we send data faster, or control it less well at the distribution end, the stream might run for a while then stop, start up, stop... etc. I'll leave it to you to put the key words buffer bloat into Google for more explanation if you wish, but the problem exhibits most with the highest speed internet connections and more recent firewall/routers. This is a time when having old facilities is a good thing Wink

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: gemini (offline) on Monday, January 17 2011 @ 02:09 PM EST  
gemini

Thanks for the explanation Richard! Makes sense to me! At least I know it isn't my computer!

Forum

North Vancouver, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Debs (offline) on Tuesday, January 18 2011 @ 02:48 PM EST  
Debs

Richard I am havng ongoing problems here too ....the systems seems so slow at times and trying to post at times is like watching paint dry. Sometimes when I go to post or click on submit I get a screen full of textmumble jumble the screen is full of it....then I have to click on the arrow to go back sometimes it brings me back to my original post other times clicking on the go back button does not work so I have to reload the forum again. This is a ongoing problem and extremely frustrating particularly when am trying to report on several nests. I do not recall this problem on the old forum so not sure what is causing the slowness.....and the error messages I used to have many windows up too multitasking and reporting on different threads now I have cut back to bare bones and the forum is still acting up for me.

Enjoy the gifts that surround you; let your spirit soar

Forum

North Pole

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:13 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate