Forum Index > Welcome to the Forum! > Technical Help
 Report Cams Down and Forum Errors
 |  Printable Version
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, October 22 2010 @ 07:57 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: HikerBikerGram

Good Morning,

My question is there still an archive of recent videos of Ma and Pa and can we make hot spots and post them. I can not see that option with Wildearth at this time. Am I missing something?

Here is a link to the Wild Earth Blog explaining the situation.

http://blog.wildearth.tv/2010/09/end-of ... e-and.html

In part it says,

The recording will go on, but seekpointing and viewing them will not be possible for a while. We are working hard on a new system, one that needs to be built from scratch, but at this time can not yet tell you exactly when it will be ready. As a subproject we are therefore working on making the Safari.tv game drives accessible for 'time-shifted' watching. I.e. record them in their entirety, so they can be watched later when someone missed them.

One very important point about the archives is that all existing archives as well as the seekpoints that were created for them will be kept, and included in the new system. So all the effort spent on capturing and seek pointing will not be wasted!

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Saturday, October 23 2010 @ 12:27 AM EDT  
richardpitt

Quote by: JudyB

Quote by: PEB

22nd Oct
Neither Delta Owl cam is loading at the moment
I have e-mailed Richard!

Thanks, Pat - the forum is very slow for me today, so I thought the problem might be with my computer.

The slow response of the HWF web site seems to be related to a routing problem with Telus - the upstream provider for the network that the host server is hosted on. Anyone whose ISP uses Telus' network to feed their location - no matter where in the link it is; directly via Telus' own ADSL, or via some other ISP (such as your local cable company in BC somewhere) that gets their connection to the rest of the internet via Telus' bulk connections seems to be slow. The rest of the world is fast.

I've just changed the site's IP address to a whole different block - one that is only routed to this one machine instead of shared across two different locations. As your ISP's servers time out the DNS (Domain Name Service) entry for HancockWildlife.ORG, your machine will start using the new address and should speed up. The machine will continue to answer on the old address until I turn it off - some time next week.

Please let me know as you browse if/when your speed changes over the next 2-3 days (should be hours, but some ISPs ignore the timeouts in the zone files and impose their own sense of timeouts)

richard

Executive Director:
Taking HWF to the next level

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 10:04 PM EDT  
JudyB

Marg, I've sent you a PM with my personal email address - please send me the link to the video you're trying to post. I'm guessing that photobucket has added another URL or something, and we need to whitelist it so we can post the videos they store there. Unfortunately once the software has decided that a link is spam, it not only won't let you post it - it won't let you include it in a PM or in an email sent through the forum software - which is why I'm suggesting that you send me a regular email to my home account.

Thanks for posting this - I'm guessing other folks either are having or will have similar issues with pictures or videos stored on photobucket.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, October 24 2010 @ 11:02 PM EDT  
JudyB

Oops - I read photoshop and my brain thought photobucket. :oops: Sorry.

I've now added photoshop to the whitelist - so let's see if this works:

Click for Out Marg's spectacular video

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 03:30 PM EDT  
JudyB

Debs, when you see a whole list of text entries at the top of a page, it means that the different parts of the page aren't loading in the right order; those entries all belong somewhere in the black menu bar, but for some reason the menu bar wasn't ready to receive them when they started to stream in. I suspect it's related to some of the speed issues others have mentioned - I notice it more when my internet connection is a bit slow.

I'm not having any particular problem with the speed of the Hancock forum today - but I know many people are, and Richard does have one more thing he's going to try. Please stay tuned.

I don't remember where I saw the information, but I believe WildEarth is planning to add some level of archives with the option for seekpoints - but am not sure when they will get to that part of the project. I know that Hancock Wildlife is also archiving the streams from at least some of the cameras - but not in a format that can appear directly on the web - here's a link to Richard Pitt's article explaining the issues involved: article.php/Video-Archives-at-HWF.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Thursday, October 28 2010 @ 03:38 PM EDT  
richardpitt

Just so you know - the speed issue is affecting all web sites on this one server - but again, only to those who have Telus' "backbone" system somewhere in their link between their computer and the server. This means both retail customers of Telus and customers of other ISPs that use Telus as their link to the rest of the world "wholesale"

I'm going to get a completely different set of addresses from the machine's ISP - and see if the problem exists for them too - if so then I'm prepared to think it is something I'm doing on the machine, even though nothing I can think of would do what is happening and be specific to only one major backbone provider (and I've been doing this for quite a long time - since before Telus admitted that the internet existed)

I'll keep people informed.

I'll likely conduct the tests on another web site (one of my own probably) so as not to again change things and cause problems with people.

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Wednesday, November 03 2010 @ 07:17 PM EDT  
richardpitt

I've left a message - there were people there wiring the nest camera today too - we may have two cameras soon Smile

everyone's gone for the day

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

By: richardpitt (offline) on Sunday, November 07 2010 @ 11:03 AM EST  
richardpitt

The system has not changed, except in that it is on a different IP address from last month.

I'm still having a fight with the local upstream (Telus) over whether there is a routing issue that, as far as I know, only affects people that have their service somewhere in the path to them. I had thought this only affected people here in BC but now I'm not sure. I'm in the midst of negotiating for a new location for the server that will hopefully fix this - hopefully this week.

I'll keep people informed.

richard

Executive Director:

Forum Admin
Admin

Pitt Meadows BC -
40k from Vancouver

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:17 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate