Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Coopers Hawk (accipiter cooperri)
 |  Printable Version
By: ostrich (offline) on Saturday, July 22 2017 @ 07:15 PM EDT  
ostrich

I got a decent comparison shot of both hawklets together today, they seem to be consistently now in the trees along the N edge of the park, about 100m away from the nest tree. I've found them there three times now in the last couple of days, sometimes with the female roosting in her usual spot right off the NW corner. One hawklet to me seems visibly smaller, and I'm guess that there is likely one smaller male and one female.

At the High Park territory on Wednesday evening, I was fortunate enough to find four fledglings from the nest in the area just yards away from the nest. All looked well flighted although still developing balance and flight skill, and one of the hawklets had a whole squirrel in its possession. That brought the other three making a lot of whistling calls over the squirrel, and they were roosting together on a branch a few yards away from the lucky one. So it looks almost certain that the High Park territory had a total of four, which I wasn't able to confirm from the nest. That is the same number they had last year, so I would consider that most likely. I did not see a sign of a 5th or 6th.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Thursday, August 17 2017 @ 10:01 PM EDT  
ostrich

For the past three weeks I've been continuing to get some sightings of the hawklets in the park, although they are almost certainly ranging well beyond the nest area now, and on one occasion a couple of weeks ago I caught one gliding back into the east end of the park from outside, so I'm sure they are around the surrounding neighborhood at least a decent part of the time. I'm generally uncertain of how often they're actually within the park, as quite often when I go out there's no sign of any. There are at least two areas though in the trees around the park where I'm pretty sure they have been roosting at times, where they are very difficult to spot unless they come flying out or start vocalizing. The other area of the park where I suspect they are sometimes around but not easy to spot is in the large trees along the E edge, on a few occasions I've heard passerines that sound alarmed, probably at one of the youngsters, without being able to spot where they are.

In the last week or so I've been most often seeing one of the hawklets roosting, sometimes on an open snag fairly close to the nest, and other times in the bare tree about 100m to the NE from the nest along the N edge. So it suggests perhaps that one has moved away from the nest area much earlier than the other although I can't be sure. About a week ago I did see both together hidden in the branches of one of the trees surrounded by tall bushes - one had food and was eating on one of the branches and the other was somewhere else in the branches doing a lot of whistling.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Tuesday, August 22 2017 @ 12:58 PM EDT  
ostrich

I haven't caught any sightings any either fledgling in a few days now, and I haven't seen the adults around either, so I'm pretty sure they're dispersed. This was about exactly the time I'd seen the same dispersal timing two years ago, there's always a chance of another sighting in the next couple of weeks, but at least they appear to have moved outside the park and are no longer returning on any kind of regular basis. Farewell hawk family.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Friday, October 13 2017 @ 09:08 PM EDT  
ostrich

I forgot to record that a week ago I had a sighting of an adult on top of the church a block N of the park, the first Coopers I've seen in the neighbourhood since late August. I spotted it as I was passing by, and it was still there about 10 min later when I returned, just as I was driving past it flushed from its roost and went into a long flat glide southward, and also crossing across the road, after about 50m it suddenly veered into an attack on some passing pigeons.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, October 23 2017 @ 09:32 PM EDT  
ostrich

I spotted an adult Coopers again this morning about 9:00am when I was passing by the same church, again roosting high up on one of the crosses. That's the second time I've seen one there within a relatively short time, I wonder if they're using it as a hunting vantage point.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 06:15 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate