Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Coopers Hawk (accipiter cooperri)
 |  Printable Version
By: ostrich (offline) on Saturday, June 20 2015 @ 12:04 AM EDT  
ostrich

I managed to catch a couple of feedings yesterday and today - but I'm still at two hawklets, one feeding I could definitely see the two heads popping up and the hawklets starting to stand up on their feet just a little more. The ones I can see appear to be at the point where they can stand up at least for a few seconds but balance and steadiness isn't there yet and then end up sitting back down. There may still be a third in there somewhere - I've been fooled before at this stage when it seems like there are no more down there and then suddenly another appears. Especially when they get to the point where they can stand right up on the rim they can all be seen at once. Both hawklets I can see definitely have some pins starting to emerge.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, July 01 2015 @ 01:15 PM EDT  
ostrich

Last week I was away so I was unable to keep track of any progress - but when I got back on Saturday the hawklets had definitely progressed significantly, both had lost the majority of their secondary down. In the last couple of days it looks like at least one has now lost all its down except for the head, which is always the last to go. It really does look now like there are only two hawklets up there, so that is one less than their normal number.

Now the adults are basically spending all their time off the nest bowl itself as well - I've seen the male around the neighbourhood in a couple of spots, and the female is often roosting in the high dead tree along the north edge of the park, which is still relatively close to the nest tree.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Saturday, July 04 2015 @ 12:50 AM EDT  
ostrich

Both hawklets I am still seeing either lying in the nest bowl or standing up on the rim, I have not yet seen any indication of them branching or moving off the bowl.

I did get a bit of footage of them the other day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1h2_U0Iy6I

And a bit of footage from the week before when they were still in white down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR6Vc8tj7CE

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, July 05 2015 @ 06:46 PM EDT  
ostrich

Yesterday evening I just managed to catch an indication of one of the hawklets starting to branch - I saw one just coming down into the nest from somewhere up above, I think in reaction to some food that the other hawklet had. It may have not been very far out of the bowl, but it definitely hopped down from above the bowl.

This afternoon I definitely saw the one (presumably older) hawklet flapping and helicoptering its way up into higher branches of the nest tree, probably a good 10-15 ft above, so they are definitely branching. The other I did not see get out of the bowl, but it was also doing vigorous flapping and hopping and catching air and then coming back down to the bowl.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, July 06 2015 @ 10:46 PM EDT  
ostrich

This evening I once again was able to spot one of the hawklets roosting in a branch about 10 ft above the nest bowl, with the other in the nest. One of the adults delivered food and fed both - and the branching hawklet got back into the nest to participate in the feeding quite nicely - by the time I walked over to the tree to look it was already back in. The feeding went on for about 10 min or so, and it looked like both were fed. The adult then moved to the upper branches of the tree (I think it was the female).

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Thursday, July 09 2015 @ 07:44 PM EDT  
ostrich

I was able to confirm yesterday that both hawklets are definitely branching quite a bit - I caught both in different spots in the nest tree, and both were also vocalizing constantly, which I discovered was due to an adult also being in the tree. I couldn't see any food definitively, but I suspect the adult had just delivered food. One of the hawklets may have had it because they kept moving around from branch to branch.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Saturday, July 11 2015 @ 12:29 PM EDT  
ostrich

I'm happy to say that at least one hawklet has fledged, and I'm 95% sure the other has been off the nest tree as well - yesterday afternoon I found one of the hawklets roosting low in one of the trees nearby the nest tree. The other I couldn't find until one of the adults came in and landed on the nest with food and that brought all kinds of whistling calls from somewhere nearby and the second hawklet ended up in the nest following the adult. The one I could see in the tree started vocalizing as well in response to the adult and tried to fly up to get to the feeding. He was really flapping hard but couldn't make it all the way back up to nest level in one shot - they really work hard at this stage in flight. After two or three stops he managed to get up I think.

Yesterday evening I found one hawklet standing in the nest and the other on the lower branches of the nest tree, and there was another arrival on the nest tree by one of the adults, that sparked another flurry of calling and excitement from the hawklets, eventually I found one of them again off the nest in one of the nearby trees. With all the thick oak trees around the new nest area it can be hard to find them once they start moving.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, July 13 2015 @ 08:59 AM EDT  
ostrich

On Saturday I was able to get some short clips of footage of one of the fledglings in a tree just near the nest tree. Both were around and moving around the branches but this one was the only one who gave me a good vantage point with the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIyxLV-RR6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSIew-Zp9H8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mctsv2n5Hrc

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:38 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate