Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Other North American Nests with Ground Observers
 BURNEY, CALIFORNIA AREA EAGLES
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 01:54 PM EST (Read 19800 times)  
Anonymous: Eagle Eye

BURNEY, CALIFORNIA AREA EAGLES

Thank you Hancock Wildlife Foundation for including Burney, California and its surrounding area on your site. I am honored to be able to report on our area's bald eagles and I encourage others to join in, too.

Let me start out by saying Burney is in northeastern California; way, way north of San Francisco, way north of Sacramento, and about 55 miles northeast of Redding. Redding is where the CalTrans/Turtle Bay eagle cam is.

The town of Burney is in unincorporated Shasta County. We are at an elevation of about 3200' in the Shasta/Cascade Mountains. Burney's population is about 3500. We have many creeks, rivers, and lakes in the area, which provide our local eagles and abundant resident and migratory birds plenty of food and shelter. There are bald eagles at nearly all of our waterways.

The surrounding towns around Burney are Johnson Park, Cassel, Glenburn, Hat Creek, Old Station, Fall River Mills and McArthur. They are all smaller than Burney--which makes them VERY SMALL towns, but all are great places to live and raise children and grand children. They are also excellent places for water-related recreational activities.

Lake Britton is at the base of McArthur-Burney Falls, which Theodore Roosevelt declared the Eighth Wonder of the World. The lake is man-made (dammed river) and provides recreational opportunities as well as a major source of power. I believe there are at least six bald eagle nests on Lake Britton, alone. Other nests can be seen on Baum Lake (where there is also a great blue heron rookery), Crystal Lake, Hat Creek, Pit River and Big Lake. I am sure there are others that someone might bring to my attention. Big Lake is the home of Ahjumawi State Park. The park is only accessible via watercraft.

I kayak all the bodies of water mentioned above and am able to move slowly and quietly in the water. My goal each time I go kayaking is to see at least one bald eagle. I rarely fail in that goal and often see more than one; sometimes, several. My kayak buddies and I have paddled to within about 10 feet of eagles standing on the lake's shore. Unfortunately, most of us are not confident enough in our kayaks to bring really nice SLR cameras. But, we still get some fairly good shots. Others who posted on the previous Hancock Wildlife Foundation's Burney California Area Eagles thread were excellent photographers and hopefully they will find their way here, and post here too.

Please feel free to join in and post your observations and photographs. Welcome to the new Hancock Wildlife Foundation thread on the BURNEY, CALIFORNIA AREA EAGLES.

Also, please check out the 2009 observations and photographs by following this link: http://discuss.hancockwildlifechannel.o ... amp;t=3533

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 05:50 PM EST  

Since my last post on the previous thread we have been kayaking at several locations. We saw two pair of bald eagles and an immature on the Hat Creek. One pair and an immature at Baum Lake. At least one pair and an immature on the east side of Lake Britton.

Here is a photo taken earlier this week on Lake Britton. There is a pair in the foreground and I believe, there is an immature at the top of the snag in the background.

Click on image to download

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Friday, February 12 2010 @ 05:52 PM EST  

Here is another photo from the same trip.

Click on image to download

By: HikerBikerGram (offline) on Sunday, February 14 2010 @ 11:31 AM EST  
HikerBikerGram

Welcome Eagle eye, Glad to see you and great eagle photos.wave

Wildlife Photography, Nature Provides It And We Pass It On

Linda/HikerBikerGram

Joined May 12, 2009

Forum

Maryville, Il USA

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 10:07 PM EST  
JudyB

Your eagle in the evergreens reminds me of the ones we occasionally see in Maine, Eagle Eye - they do a good job of blending in, and you really need to be looking for white spots to find them! Thanks for the lovely pictures, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else you discover. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Tuesday, February 16 2010 @ 11:08 PM EST  

Guess I should post when I have no sightings, too. We went to Big Lake on Valentine's Day and did not see one eagle. But there were thousands of big white birds way far in the distance flying around and making a thunderous noise. We were so far away I couln't make out what they were, but some folks in town said they are probably swans. I hope to get a closer view soon.

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 02:05 AM EST  

wave A beautiful spring-like day here today. A tease really, because it was snowing this evening! Lake Britton was today's destination. We had several eagle sightings, maybe ten or more--but not really sure how many eagles we saw-- I know there were more than two. Two of them were circling above us, way above us. It was very cool. We also spotted one in a tree, about a half mile from where we launched. It looked like a sparrow to the naked eye because it was so far away. On the way back to town, one flew directly over our car. It was flying low, and was a beauty. It must have been hunting red meat or road kill, because it was pretty far away from the lake. Didn't get any good bird photo's today.

Other sightings: Canada geese, about six; in pairs at various places on the lake. Cormorants, about three; flying in singles. Kingfishers, about 20; flying in singles. A red tailed hawk. One turtle--it must be spring:!: Grin

Sad No pelicans, swans, snow geese, osprey, herons, or otters.

By: Anonymous: Eagle Eye () on Friday, February 26 2010 @ 01:19 PM EST  

A friend and I went out to Baum Lake yesterday, just a spur of the moment type trip. I forgot my camera. We didn't see any eagles. The eagle nest appeared empty, but looked like it had been worked on recently. :dunno:

There were plenty of Canada geese, most hanging out in pairs; some were in the man-made nest boxes on the lake. We saw several turtles at a couple locations. My friend took some pictures of them and I hope to be able to post one soon. Kingfishers were in pairs. Lots of Cormorants. A few Great Blue Herons were flying or standing by the lake. We watched some fly into their rookery.

Photo added: 3/1/10Click on image to download

All times are EST. The time is now 04:38 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate