Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - All Eagle Nests With Ground Observers
 Brentwood Bay Eagles 2010 - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, January 20 2010 @ 12:53 AM EST (Read 18192 times)  
sassyk

Welcome to the Brentwood Bay Eagles dedicated thread. This thread is dedicated to the activities of the Brentwood Bay eagles. The nest is on Wallace Drive near Brentwood Bay, BC. I have been monitoring this nest for several years. Last year the eagles raised 2 eaglets and the previous 2 years they raised 3 eaglets. You will find information and photos of these eagles and their eaglets in the old forum here: Brentwood Bay BC Eagle Nest Please feel free to post observations and photos of the Brentwood Bay Eagles if you happen to visit their nest area.

Here is an article about the youngest eaglet born in 2007, who tried to fly from the nest before it was ready. His 2 siblings had already fledged.

Young eagle rescued after Central Saanich crash

By Times Colonist (Victoria)July 19, 2007

Flying ambitions overtook the skill level of a young bald eagle in Central Saanich yesterday.

The fledgling did more plummeting than soaring after leaving its nest in a cottonwood tree just off Wallace Drive. The panicked bird then flapped about wildly between cars, unable to re-launch itself.

Traffic in the 7100-block of Wallace Drive slowed to a crawl and a crowd started to gather as Central Saanich parks staff, who were working nearby, rushed into action to protect the young bird.

The eagle's day was about to get worse.

Jeff Krieger of Alternative Wildlife Services, who was called in to capture the bird, watched in dismay as the fledgling fell into a deep ditch filled with water.

"I had to jump into the culvert up to my neck to get it out. It looked as if it was drowning," he said.

The eagle was taken to the SPCA's Wild ARC to dry out and for a medical checkup. If it is fit, it will be released back into the area as soon as possible.

A huge nest has been in a tree in the area for years and two siblings were seen flying around without a problem, Krieger said.

(c) CanWest MediaWorks Publications Inc.

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin. ~ William Shakespeare
My Photos of Eagles & Other Wildlife

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, February 07 2010 @ 01:22 AM EST  
sassyk

Here are a few pix of the Brentwood Bay eagles from last year. The 1st one was taken Feb. 27th at their nest, the 2nd one was taken May 17th at their nest tree and the 3rd one was taken Oct. 18th at a nearby perch tree on Sluggett Rd. Click bigger.
Click on image to download

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, February 07 2010 @ 01:37 AM EST  
sassyk

I went to the Brentwood Bay nest yesterday before I went to see Ma and Pa Sidney and there were no eagles in or around their nest. There was a beautiful red-tailed hawk perched in one of the trees the eagles perch in on the side road. I stopped by the nest again on my way home from Pat Bay and Mom was perched on a branch beside the nest. When I turned around to walk down the street to get a better view of her she flew off over the big field across the road. I looked in all the trees on my way by and didn't see her or Dad anywhere. Here is a pic of Mom at the nest, a pic of the nest tree from down the road, and a pic of the red-tailed hawk. Click bigger.

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 08:56 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Wowie Kay! That nest is huge :blink: and the pics are great

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: edkeagle (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 02:43 AM EST  
edkeagle

Kay: It looks like you're going to be busy. I counted eight threads in which you're the author. It's always interesting to see what's going on in a specific area since I've been to a few of the locations. Do you have any favorites? -- Ed

First you must follow before you lead.

--Ed K.
Blaine, Washington

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Thursday, February 11 2010 @ 01:36 PM EST  
sassyk

waveHi Ed. My favourite nest to watch is the Sidney nest, but this Brentwood Bay nest is a good one because it is so close to the road. You can get some nice close up pix when the eaglets are bigger and they start flapping their wings.

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Wednesday, February 24 2010 @ 12:30 PM EST  
sassyk

I went by the Brentwood Bay nest yesterday on my way to Pat Bay. As I was driving out Keating X Rd. at the corner of Veyaness Rd., an adult eagle flew right over my carOh My It was heading in the direction of the Brentwood nest. When I turned onto Wallace Dr. I spotted one of the adults perched on the branch beside the nest. As I was getting my camera out of the trunk, it flew off and I didn't get any photosRoll eyes I stopped by again on my way back from Pat Bay, but didn't see any eagles anywhere in the areaSad

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: sassyk (offline) on Sunday, March 07 2010 @ 10:39 PM EST  
sassyk

I stopped at the Brentwood nest on my way to Pat Bay yesterday. I saw a bit of white in the nest as I drove around the corner and parked. I walked up and down the street and didn't see any more movement in the nest. Just as I was getting into my car I saw a sub-adult and a juvenile flying overhead. A minute later Mom's head popped up to look at the other eagles. I am guessing by her behaviour she has an egg(s) in the nestLeft thumb up Here are 2 pix of Mom and a pic of the sub-adult. Click them bigger.

Forum

Victoria BC Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:40 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate