Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Eagles - General Information, Q & A's and in the News
 Eagles in the News
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, April 28 2011 @ 03:29 PM EDT  
MaryF

Quote by: MaryF

A friend of mine who knows that I love eagles sent me this article and video from a nest in Tierra Verde near Tampa. I got a little teary eyed while watching the video...It's a nice story of an eaglet's first flight.!! Wub

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/l ... emailshare

I recently recived a very sad update from my friend in Florida to what HAD been a joyful story! Sad There has been a lot of sad eagle news this year!!!

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/l ... emailshare

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: eddaves () on Saturday, July 02 2011 @ 07:52 AM EDT  
Anonymous: eddaves

Connecticut environmental officials are reopening the Windsor Locks Canal State Park Trail after shutting it for a few months to protect two young bald eagles.

The Department of Environmental Protection says the eagles have successfully fledged and will test their new flying abilities along the Connecticut River this weekend.

Environmental officials say nesting bald eagles were once in decline due to pesticides and returned to Connecticut in 1992 after an absence of nearly 50 years.

Twenty-three bald eagle pairs were documented in the state this year and 21 pairs made nests. Three of the 21 nests failed, and the 18 successful bald eagle pairs have fledged 29 chicks.

The trail is set to reopen Friday.

Read more: Connecticut reopens trail after young eagles able to fly - Norwich, CT - The Bulletin http://www.norwichbulletin.com/archive/ ... z1Qwp1BItN

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, July 15 2011 @ 11:11 PM EDT  
MaryF

Click on image to download

In 1983, there were only three bald eagle nests in the entire state of Pennsylvania, but an assessment by the state’s the Game Commission shows that number has surpassed a milestone of 200 active nests this year.

READ THE REST HERE

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, July 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM EDT  
MaryF

Pair of injured eagles prove to be lovebirds
Reunited raptors re-establish bond

They are the fiercest-looking lovebirds you'll ever see, and they demonstrate their bond by eating dead rats side by side, wings touching.

The two seriously injured bald eagles, found two months apart and more than a mile away from each other near the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge, were rescued and reunited in a wildlife rehabilitation facility in Medina last week.

REST OF THE STORY HERE

MORE PICTURES OF THE REUNION

SHORT VIDEO OF EAGLES

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, July 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM EDT  
MaryF

Bald eagle saved by vet's mouth-to-beak CPR

Credit: Jeannette Bonomo/KTVZ.com

BEND, Ore. -- A Bend, Ore., veterinarian has performed life-saving CPR on an injured bald eagle that was under anesthesia during physical therapy.

STORY + PICTURES HERE

Here is more information on the story and a short video of the CPR.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/28568847/detail.html

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, July 17 2011 @ 06:49 PM EDT  
MaryF

'The eagle couldn't have picked a better person'

credit Ed Glick

It was a crow that first caught Frank Glick's attention. It was flying around erratically, so Glick got out his Nikon camera and followed it. It was around 6 a.m. on a hazy spring day and he was driving through Fort Snelling National Cemetery because he was early for a training meeting at Delta Airlines, where he works.

Glick is an amateur photographer, but he always carries his camera, just in case. So he followed the crow, in some cultures a symbol of good luck and magic, until he saw it: a huge eagle perched on a tombstone, its eyes alert, its head craned, looking for prey. In the foreground, dew glistened on the grass.

Glick got his shot.

GREAT STORY HERE

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, July 29 2011 @ 03:24 PM EDT  
BET

Article from July 28

Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife biologist Kendall Marden says the eagles failed to produce young for two years, but this year has hatched four eaglets at the Swan Island Wildlife Management Area near Richmond.

Marden, who manages Swan Island, says it's a "new milestone for eagle recovery in Maine." Marden says there are believed to have been only three other documented cases of four eaglets in a single nest in the U.S.

Forty years ago, the majestic birds had been nearly wiped out by exposure to the pesticide DDT and other stresses. In 2007, the bald eagle was taken off Maine's list of threatened and endangered species, and there are now more than 500 nesting pairs in the state.?

Marden says the newly discovered eaglet quads will spend the next several weeks learning to fly and feed on their own. If they succeed, their chances of surviving their first year reaches 75 percent. Eaglets who make it to age three have a 95 percent chance of survival, he says.

Photo by Joe Bailey, Swan Island Wildlife Management Area.
(This July 2011 photo released by the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife shows four bald eaglets in a single nest on Swan Island in the Kennebec River near Richmond, Maine. It is the first documented case of four eaglets in the same nest in the state's history. (AP Photo/Joe Bailey)

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Thursday, September 15 2011 @ 02:03 PM EDT  
MaryF

I came across several YouTube videos today concerning lead poisening in bald eagles. To me it's a very important and concerning topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFXbSZyb ... re=related

Click on image to download photo scaped from the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn1IRYJ_480

Click on image to download photo scaped from the video

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:13 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate