Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Eagles - General Information, Q & A's and in the News
 Eagles in the News
 |  Printable Version
By: karenbills (offline) on Wednesday, July 26 2017 @ 01:23 AM EDT  
karenbills

Thanks for the follow-up story, Mary. Phoenix is truly a miracle bird and rightly named. Bless his heart. I remember when this happened.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, August 04 2017 @ 12:09 AM EDT  
MaryF

I know that some of you may have seen the story about the eagle that may have been struck by lightning. The top of his head is just burned bone---no skin and no feathers at all. I found this update on that eagle tonight. They are going to do something very interesting to this eagle---please watch the video for the story!! WOW!! Left thumb up

http://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-news ... ft-surgery

-----------------------------------------------

Here is one of the earlier stories about this bald eagle ------

http://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-news ... s-recovery

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Saturday, August 05 2017 @ 07:58 PM EDT  
MaryF

An update on the eagle in the above story who had bare, charred bone on his poor head!!

http://www.ketv.com/article/bald-eagle- ... y/11549206

From another news Station ---

http://www.3newsnow.com/news/local-news ... r-accident

This is a longer video ---

https://www.facebook.com/OmahaZoo/video ... mp;theater

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Sunday, August 06 2017 @ 02:08 AM EDT  
MaryF

From the local newspaper in Omaha, Nebraska --- story about the above eagle with the head skin graft.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/injured ... 289511.htm

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: rainna4 (offline) on Monday, December 04 2017 @ 12:17 PM EST  
rainna4

Hello, I thought I would share this. Please be advised that I will be posting a picture of this beautiful fallen Eagle. I live in the Fox River Valley in Wisconsin. We have a very healthy Raptor/Bird population here due to the Fox River which has a strong current that keeps it from fully freezing over, and several wonderful lakes, marshes, and land mass that is great for the continued growth for all the birds. Yesterday Sunday December 3rd, my husband and I were on our final bike ride of the season, I noticed something black and white laying in a farmers field about 30 feet from the road. We went to investigate thinking it might have been an injured dog, it was not it was indeed a fallen Eagle. Here is a snippet of what I had written to Mary:

Today we had a an event happen on our last bike ride of the 2017 season. I spotted something black and white laying out in a farmers field and yes just what your thinking it was, was indeed a fallen Eagle. So many tears followed as we carried it out of the field and called 911 for contact with the DNR on a Sunday afternoon. We waited for a phone call from them and was told that the Warden would be on his way to transport the deceased Eagle. We went to the neighbors whom we gave as the nearest address and found the most kind woman who knew a bit about what should be done, and also let us know that her neighbor is a sheriff and she would call him right away. I feel confident that all the proper steps were respected for this fully (male-smaller) adult fallen Eagle.......I shed many tears and said a prayer for it. Certainly not the way I thought my afternoon would be, but then I felt that we were suppose to be the one's to find it, so it could be respectfully cared for and go to those that will honor it properly for certain. Just to let you know there was no visible signs of trauma.

A follow up for today December 4th: I have been contacted by Warden Kyle Johnson and Cara Kamke, his assistant and was assured the Eagle had been picked up and was going to be taken in for biological testing. She also informed me that another Eagle had fallen south of this one's location recently and it's vital to find the cause for both these beautiful Raptors. She stated that the concern was a possible transfer of West Nile and testing will be done before this Eagle will be transferred to the next Native American Tribe on the list. I feel grateful for all those who continue to help for the answers. I also want to mention the kind assistance we found when going up to the nearest house to inform them of us giving out there address for the Warden to find the fallen Eagle, as we had kept it off to the side so it's wasn't directly visible from the road. She then took it upon herself to actually put a blind around it with a huge red line across the blind for easy identification for the Warden. We just didn't want someone to see it that wouldn't have the respect for the fallen Eagle!
I have been assured that I will be contacted with the test results and when that happens I will be happy to let you all know. I also want to add that I'm very pleased with all the folks who have helped to assure this beautiful Eagle would be respected for it's proper handling of it's life force ended.

Thank you Mary F, for your kindness and direction, as always your voice is so helpful !
Rainna4/Sandy D
Permission granted by both K. Johnson and C. Kamke to post on HWF
Click on image to download

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
author unknown
AKA: Sandy D

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

By: karenbills (offline) on Monday, December 04 2017 @ 11:53 PM EST  
karenbills

Thanks for your report, Sandy. Sad indeed but you certainly did the right thing. Unfortunately this happens all too often. We look forward to the report results.

Member since 2006.

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC (Metro
Vancouver)

By: rainna4 (offline) on Tuesday, December 05 2017 @ 10:38 AM EST  
rainna4

Your welcome Karenbills, but I'm thinking it will be West Nile Virus as Cara did tell me that in Brown County, one over from me, they had several confirmed red tail and one other type of hawk fallen due to this virus. She also stated that another Eagle was found in the same manor south of the location the one we found. One will never know if they were a pair and ate the same infected bird/carrion or if they are separate incidences to one another. At the end of the day it seems that the West Nile Virus is in Wisconsin and just this morning I read a report of confirmed cases in fallen grouse in two counties in Michigan. http://www.9and10news.com/2017/12/04/dn ... ed-grouse/

As a foot note I want to add that Green Bay WI, 30 minutes away from me, are having a huge problem with rats and you can be certain many folks are putting out poison to try and kill them. The Green Bay University last year received help from the animal shelter to fix many, many feral cats and supplied housing and food for them to try and rid the rats around the University grounds. Just to give you an idea how bad the problem is. But this is another strong possibility for the fallen Eagles.

Take care and hopefully more and more people can become aware of cleaning and clearing any standing water in an area.

Ability is what you're capable of doing.
Motivation determines what you do.
Attitude determines how well you do it.
author unknown
AKA: Sandy D

Forum

Wisconsin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:21 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate