David Hancock and Karen Bills on Around The World
Thursday, November 26 2009 @ 05:14 PM EST
Contributed by: richardpitt
The whole November 18, 2009 interview with David Ingram on Around the World.
David Hancock is one of David Ingram's long-time friends. A naturalist, bioligist and publisher, David Hancock is one of the best known spokesmen about eagles in specific and "those wildlife at the top of the food chain" which include bears, especially the White Spirit Bear, and the killer whale and of course the Bald Eagle.
The topic today is the Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival - but along with this we learn about the Chilkat Eagle Festival and concerns about the development in that area including the new pipeline and the impact the construction will have on the wildlife in that area.
In the Fraser Valley, we learn of David's concerns for the migratory birds due to the huge "virus incubators" - aka the chicken "broiler farms" as well as the other problem - the pig farms.
Everyone who has any interest in conservation and learning what the problems are in relation to birds and salmon should watch this.
The individual segments of this multi-part session
- Introduction - The Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival, Discussion of when and why the eagles come to the Chehalis estuary,
- The Swine flu and Bird flu - David Hancock's take on the causes of these problems in and around the Fraser Valley - Viral Incubators. David Hancock also speaks to the passengers on Alaska cruise ships during the summer.
- David Hancock's company, Hancock House Publishing. Discussion of the establishment of the first live eagle nest camera to the world from Hornby Island. The evolution of the live wildlife camera including the installation of the camera tower at the Chehalis estuary to watch the eagles feast on the spawning salmon carcasses.
- Continued discussion of the Fraser Valley Eagle Festival - where it is and what the opportunities are to view eagles and other wildlife.
- The "LBJ" - David Ingram recounts one of the many trips he took with David Hancock out collecting birds. We learn a bit about how David Hancock got into falconry and other predatory birds. Fraser River Safari - jet boat tours of the Fraser and Harrison River.
- More on the Fraser River Safari tour and a discussion of the sturgeons that are found in the Fraser river. Some fascinating information on the sturgeon and how it migrates from river system to river system around the Pacific North West The discussion turns to Haines Alaska and the Chilkat river. David speaks each year at their festival, just before the Fraser Valley festival. The problem in Haines is the development of the new pipeline and how the trucks taking the pipe to the project will impact the grizzly bear population due to road kills.